Friday, December 11, 2009

Punisher : War Zone (2008)


Punisher : War Zone (2008)































Well I feel like I should go back and edit my comment in the review for the 2004 Punisher. Punisher War Zone, while it is tailored to the action loving audience, is not as bad as I had originally sensed. My comment was based upon only watching the first thirty-five or forty minutes, and has changed after I have seen the entire film.



I made a mistake in reviewing the Punisher films, and it was one made by many other people. I compared the 2004 Punisher and Punisher War Zone. War Zone is a completely different animal to the other film. Based on the Marvel Knights version of The Punisher, where Frank has been doing his thing for six years before the film even begins, War Zone throws us straight into a story of Frank vs a Crime Family, not slowing down to develop a revenge plot for Frank. While Thomas Jane's Punisher showed development of his reason and growing probability of his revenge on Howard Saint (Punisher 2004), War Zone pushes an even more simple point. It is this: Frank hates criminals, therefore, he kills them.



Not to say that Punisher:War Zone is a masterpiece, because it isn't, by a long shot. There is some terrible acting, especially by Dominic West, who plays the scarred-face villain Jigsaw (no relation to the killer in Saw), horrible cheesy lines by a lot of characters and a focus on action for the sake of it. (The "high on meth all the time" gang's acrobatic displays, and Ray Stevenson (The Punisher) being able to kill people from a variety of positions. Look at me, I can kill heaps of people while hanging upsidedown from a spinning chandelier. Well OK. good for you. Looks great, but I don't see The Punisher (as a character) ever really doing that.
)


Punisher : War Zone is good fun, if you want a graphic action film. Sit back, switch the brain down for an hour and a half and enjoy.


Three Darios













(And before anyone asks, yes I am going to review the original Punisher film from 1989, starring Dolph Lundgren)

No comments:

Post a Comment